Friday, March 7, 2008

Book Review: A Countess Below Stairs

A Countess Below Stairs, Eva Ibbotson

I just finished this today and it was REALLY good. Better than A Song For Summer. Anna is a Russian Countess .... her family is very wealthy and have a charmed life. That is, until the Russian Revolution happens and their father is killed and they have to flee Russia to England, penniless. Once in England, Anna realizes that she need to work to help her family, so she becomes a maid at Mersham Estates. It is the home of the Earl of Westerholme, who is also newly titled; his older brother was killed in the war and he has been injured, but returned home to take care of the estate. Before arriving home, the Earl realizes that his family doesn't have the means to continue taking care of Mersham so he becomes engaged to a wealthy American heiress. Miss Hardwicke is snooty and overbearing, and believes completely in the new "science" of eugenics .... beautiful, disease free, perfect people only "breeding" with other perfect people. She believes that Rupert, the Earl, is another perfect specimen, along with herself, and together they could create only perfect offspring. Needless to say, Rupert doesn't agree with her snobbery. As Anna works in the house the other servants and Rupert as well, start to realize she isn't just another Russian immigrant.

This story is really intriguing, and like all of Ibbotson books, keeps you guessing until the very end. Really good! You'll like it.

2 little comments:

emily :) said...

Sounds good!! When we get together, we need to do a book swap!! :)

Judie and George said...

I think I am next in line for that book! I hope I am!