Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Book Review: Austenland


Austenland, Shannon Hale

I really LOVED this book. Jane lives in NYC and is obsessed with Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, and more specifically, the actor Colin Firth from the BBC adaptation. She is 32 (or 33) and has had really bad luck in relationships with men because she compares them all to Mr. Darcy and no one can live up to the high standards. She ends up going to lunch with her dying rich aunt who calls her on it and later dies. When she finds out the aunt left her something in her will she wonders how much money it will be. The lawyer informs her it is not money, but a vacation to England. Pembrook Park. She goes home and can't find anything about in online really, but decides to go anyway. When she gets there she realizes that it is a three week vacation at a place called Pembrook Park where she wears, eats, talks, acts everything like Jane Austen's time. She thinks it's silly at first, and then gets really into it. The men are charming and chivalrous and dote on the women like a Mr. Darcy would, but she realizes they're just actors. Anyway ... to make a long story short, it's really cute, and parts made me laugh out loud, and I will read it again. So all in all, I recommend this book to anyone (well, mostly to women who like Jane Austen). You'll like it ... and it's nice and short so it doesn't take too long to finish (200 pgs)

4 little comments:

emily :) said...

Sounds wonderful! I will have to pick that one up at the library :) I should do a book review about the one I'm reading...I'm almost done :)

emily, etc, etc said...

That sounds so good. I will have to read it after I am done with my current read (The Cronicles of Narnia - I still have five books left). Oh and by the way - I love your family picture on the title bar. You all look so great. And I love the picture of you and Matt on the side. I like your photographer.

Judie and George said...

I read this one a while ago, and I liked it. The ending was something of a surprise, and that made it fun.

Andrew and Cori said...

It sounds like I need to find this one too. I need something to read- especially since I told myself I can't read the Twilight books again at least till my birthday... I have no idea why that was the date I gave myself- it just sounded good.