So I'm kind of shocked at the amount of homework kids have these days. I don't remember having any in grade school. I can't figure out if it is my job to make sure they get it done and it's all right and neat and in their backpacks .... or is it their own responsibility for making sure they get the homework done and to school the next day. I've been leaning closer to "their responsibility" when it comes to this ... thinking that they need to learn now how to be responsible for their own stuff ... like homework. But lately, Linzi has lost something she was supposed to turn in this week ... and Brielle often forgets her homework sitting at home on the table.
What do you think? Do you take responsibility for your children's homework ... or is it purely up to them to see that it gets turned in ...??
4 months ago

10 little comments:
I struggle with this daily. We have the issue of certain kids coming home saying they have no homework just to find out that indeed they did have homework and now it is late and still missing. We made a checkoff list for the Teachers to sign and put homework assignments down to keep us in the know. However sometimes that paper doesn't make it home or he "forgets" to get it signed. I can't go to school and get it signed for him. But I give him the tools and then cross my fingers that he will start taking more responsibility.
let me know if you figure that one out so I know what to do this time around when B&K get in school.
Honor, I feel that Kylie has way too much homework, but, I do make sure that it gets done. I work with sixth graders now, and I can definitely tell the difference in the parents that work with their kids, and those parents who don't. Some parents just don't care and their kids suffer because of it. We have to remember that they are kids.
Colby was having such a hard time with that as well and I even brought it up to his teacher to find out better ways for him to be independent, she said it is totally normal for first graders to forget things or not remember things to turn in, she told me the best thing to do was to help them out, still letting them do all the work but just supervising, tell them to put the stuff in there back pack and when you do it like that every day they eventually will catch on and start doing it before you say anything. hope that helps.
I'm the kind of mom that takes control of the homework situation because I'm afraid that Paige will forget. You've really got me thinking though....I think I need to take a step back and start letting her take more responsibility for it. If not, I'm going to be right by her side making sure her homework is done all the way through high school! She does need to have more responsibility and maybe that's what it's all about.
I've always thought that they have a lot of homework. Reagan, who is a very good student, hates doing homework. It's torture getting her to do it. I was torn when she was in kindergarten. Do I force her to do it and she resents homework for the rest of her life? She was a kindergartner for goodness sakes. Or does making her do it consistently form good study habits? I also always thought that for the younger elementary school kids, that the homework grade was really for the parents. The kids who don't turn in their homework is probably because their parents don't care if they do it or not. I struggle with making sure they get everything they are supposed to in their backpacks. I'm not sure at what age to leave it up to them to do it on their own. Not yet for us.
oops, that last comment was from me.
Homework kills curiosity and independent thinking, spoils the pleasures of learning, deprives kids of their childhoods, and creates conflict in families. They’re in school for seven hours a day. Seven! If school can’t get to it in that amount of time I wonder if it’s really that important.
I find that there are years where the homework pile is way higher than other years..with that said, I DO ask everyday and say "Get it done" I am available to ask questions to and ask for a minimal amount of help..and I do ask if it is in the folder AND backpack to return it the next day. We also are in habit of choosing clothes etc. for the next day prior to bed, this is when backpack is to be packed so all we have to do is get dressed and eat(no haggle over what to wear) and no frantic running around looking for that homework folder etc. after writing this I am wondering "Is this TOO organized or controling?" I've always thought it was more on the side to ensure homework gets back and major decisions are already made..making the morning easier for me (morning's are okay but not favored) The bottom line is routine and I do let the kids be responsible for the homework but keep in check of age etc.
I think it is their responsibility (because they are old enough to have that responsibility). But I think it is your responsibility to remind them in the morning to put it in their backpacks - that way, if they chose to not it or to do it then either way they reap what they have sown...
Post a Comment