Today was a half day at school. The girls got out at 12:15. Before school we talked about where I would be picking them up and then Brielle asked what she would do if I wasn't there .... I told her that would never happen.
I went home with the little girls and then we decided to run to the mall before we picked up the big girls. We looked at the Christmas trees outside of Macy's ... we tried on shoes. We looked at all the dresses in Macy's. We sauntered out to the car and I realized I hadn't once looked at my phone to see what time it was.
It was 12:30.
So obviously I felt really horrible and thought that I was the worst mom ever. I had almost forgotten my kids. I knew I was supposed to pick them up early, but I completely lost track of time.
I called the school and said I would be there in 10 minutes. When I got there Brielle's face was red from crying ... Let me just say that the guilt I felt was extreme.
What a lame excuse for being late. What was I thinking? I guess I just wasn't. Well, I'm glad we had talked about what to do if I wasn't there when they were done with school. Geesh.
Do you think there are awards for motherly stupidity?
I would win one today.
4 months ago

4 little comments:
I know you feel bad, but don't beat yourself up. Stuff happens, and it was good she was at school when it happened. They wouldn't let anything happen to her. Just think, mistakes and guilt are good things when they prevent things like that from happening again. I've done the same thing, and I felt awful also, but I haven't done it in the years since!
I almost forgot to pick Bridger up from preschool last week and it hit me just as school was letting out that "hey, I have to go get bridger" isnt it the WEIRDEST thing ever, we use every waking minute, some sleeping minutes thinking of our children non stop, then in an instant its so strange that we forgot and didnt think of them for like an hour! think of it this way, it was a good test for her and incase its ever an emergency, she will be able to handle it better. And just think for a few minutes/an hour, you were completely relaxed. Its not the end of the world. Your a great mom who is non stop involved with your girls.
Okay so I am not the only mom out there that has been late or gliched that one particular day was an "early day" this has happened to me too and yes it feels horrible and the kids go into a panic but atleast she was okay and in a safe place! You did remember her by the way just a few minutes later than what you had anticipated, sounds like the younger girls kept you very well occupied at the Mall and it was even pleasant! :) I think your a good mom and don't get to hard on yourself, it is a good thing to have moments like these, "growth" is good, a tad tramatic at times but still good
Oh my goodness, I'm terrified of doing that. Our new school here in Utah has early out every Wednesday, and I'm still not used to it. I'm afraid I'm going to forget and she's going to try to walk home. I'm so sorry! BUT you are not a terrible mother. And I'm sure Brielle has already forgiven you! *hugs*
Post a Comment