Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Free to be Me


Linzi has decided that she is a unique person. That's a good thing I think. Each day she chooses a specific outfit to wear, and each day has a different reason for wearing that outfit. Some of the choices I would rather not have her wear (like really big outdated overalls with the legs tucked into her shoes ... that was a couple weeks ago), but in general, I try to let her choose, because she is so specific with her style.

Today I found especially cute. She is wearing the skinny jeans, with Vans, and the coat was specifically put that way, not zipped, off the shoulders. The lunch bag had to be just the right length so it would hang that certain way.

I find it so interesting. Linzi is so far from what I am, that I often don't understand her. However, I do think it's good for her to be her own person. So I let her wear her outfits, I usually tell her she looks great, and once in a while, I exercise my authority as the parent and refuse to let her wear certain things. (like the dirty jacket that she had worn for days and days at home, and slept in)

I wonder what she'll choose to be when she's a teenager. (I cringe at the thought)

2 little comments:

emily, etc, etc said...

I think she looks so cute. You know, she may be more like you than you realize. I say this because you have a very fun and certain sense of style - she does too, just not the same as you. I think she will end up being a very creative and cute person, just like her mom!

Honor said...

that's a nice thing to say! and I can see what you mean.