We came inside that very first June
the house smelled of dog, it caused me to swoon.
The walls were so dirty, the carpets were vile,
we had to admit, it just wasn't our style.
The backyard, however, had beautiful trees.
The upstairs was big, and didn't make me feel squeezed.
The charming old built ins and moldings were nice;
the 3 bedrooms and 1 bath would even suffice.
So we bought it, and planned to change a great deal;
fix walls, pull out carpet; make it ideal.
We've put in a dish washer, refinished the wood floors,
added a back deck, changed a few doors,
painted a great deal, replaced old illumination,
gotten a new pantry, dealt with frustration.
Now a complete makeover for out dear family room,
then adding a bathroom this summer, I assume.
It's been a long road, we're still far from done,
some times it seems that we've hardly begun.
The thing about old houses is yes, they are splendid;
but the work of a fixer will never be ended.
So the work will continue, until we finally proceed
to a new place of living with more room, which we need.
6 months ago














5 little comments:
sounds like you are accomplishing a lot on your home! I love your cute poems!
we added and fixed and fixed our old house, I thought we would die there one day. then I got a wild hair and we moved. now we have to start over. ggggggggrrrrr
Loved the poem. Love your house. And I know what you mean!
I love the poem!! :) I still need to come see the family room!
Way to go Matt! It looks great.
Post a Comment