Monday, May 12, 2008

Book Review: The Host


The Host, Stephenie Meyer

So I liked this newest offering of Stephenie Meyer, but I think I still like the Twilight series better.

The Host is a sci-fi book about aliens who have taken over the world .... this book takes place after the fact. The little "souls" are put into people's bodies and kind of just take over their brains. They are good, though, so they have done away with things like starvation, needing money, war, fighting, police, anything like that.

It starts with a new soul being put into a recently captured rebel. The new soul, Wanderer is put into Melanie to try to figure out where the other rebels are hiding. Once a soul is put into a person, they have all of their old memories and emotions. Melanie, is not like any other body though, she refuses to let Wanderer into parts of her memory, and Wanderer knows that it isn't normal for the host body to still be able to talk and think. So this is where the story comes from. Wanderer is trying to deal with her new found love of this planet, and also deal with Melanie in her head. Melanie is trying to figure out what she is capable of.

When Melanie's memories keep coming back to the same man, Wanderer realizes that she is falling in love with Jared too. So this is not only a sci-fi story, but a romance as well. It took me a few chapters to get into it (by the 7th or 8th, I was hooked!), but once I did I couldn't put it down. I actually stayed up until 4 in the morning reading, and then in the morning couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen next. (I got busy though, so had to wait to finish it)

I would definitely recommend this to you all ... I really enjoyed it.

2 little comments:

emily :) said...

I've only read the first couple of chapters so far! Every time I sit down to read, something comes up, so I don't have long windows of time. Working on it though! :)

Kara said...

I love Stephanie Meyer, so I would love to read more of her books. Thanks for the book info.