Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm Thinking of Moving Next Door to the Sandman.

I have developed a bad habit.  Or maybe it's just a habit that's formed out of necessity.  I need at least a couple hours of quiet, after the kids have gone to sleep, to myself.  Normally, during the school year, this is fine.  They go to bed at 8:00 and I'm only up until 10:00 or 11:00.  This summer has gotten out of hand.  They've been going to bed later and later ... usually around 10:00.  So I'm up until 12:00 or 1:00.  Then Quinn wakes me up at least once or twice still (yes, that's right, I STILL haven't gotten 1 full night of sleep since he was born.  Please feel sorry for me ... it's almost been 1 year).  After all of that, I wake up in the morning, too late ... 8:30, even *gasp* 9:00 on some days.  I'm ashamed to admit this has been going on, but there it is. 

I suppose once school starts, the problem will kind of work itself out.  One can only hope that weaning Quinn will help him sleep better at night too.  I often imagine my life in a few months to be packed with sleepy dreamy nights of no waking up, and getting up early in the morning, before the kids.  And best of all .... NO.  NURSING!  Don't get me wrong, I love the time I've been able to spend with Quinn, and it's been good ... but I'm ready to be done.  SO ready.  And I'm especially ready to sleep.  Without a baby next to me.  And for a FULL night.  With no interruptions. 

I guess I shouldn't complain about sleeping ... at least I'm sleeping at all.  I could be a vampire who can NEVER sleep.  Wouldn't that be frustrating!  (or awesome!)



(just kidding ... or am I?)

3 little comments:

Chris and Mandy said...

Well, you asked people to feel sorry for you, and I definitely do! One year without a full night of sleep? I can't even imagine. I've been blessed with two beautiful sleepers who started sleeping through the night (10-12 hour stretches) around 4-5 months old. I definitely understand needing some time to yourself after everyone goes to bed. I do the same thing.

Can you start getting the girls to bed earlier? :(

Kelli said...

its been 6 years for me with only maybe 6 nights of sleep. I HATE IT. and my kids have been going to be at 10 now also and we sleep until about 9. haha, we are on the same schedule. I cant wait for the routine of school.

Anonymous said...

Oh geez. Our LO just started sleeping through the night, at 10 months, so I do know what it means. I think you should absolutely have 2-3 hours a day to yourself, but ya, I`m sure you will be happy to have a better schedule soon!