I am in serious need of ideas for getting my kids to do chores ... they are not great at helping out. I love them, and would never want to say anything bad about them ... however, they need to learn to clean. Don't you think? It's just one of those life skills that have to be learned.
I am one of those people who don't think family jobs should be tied to an allowance ... so that won't work. I think that they need to do things around the house because they are part of a family, and as part of a family everyone helps out.
That being said ... what can I do? Seriously, I have no idea how to make it happen.
Anyone have any great ideas?


7 little comments:
Well I have started timing the boys on how fast they can clean something that I ask them to do and then I write down the time, so that the next time I ask them to clean it they have a time to beat. It seems to work with my boys, we also have done the online chore charts and you can determine whether they get an allowance or not, You can check it out at myrewardboard.com I think they have a trial period so you can test it out. My kids also liked it.
what did you mom do?
on that supernanny show she always has neat suggestions, like fun chore charts. i would google around for age appropriate suggestions. the youngest can sweep, or pair and fold socks. and i think as soon as somebody is old enough, they should be expected to clear and rinse off their own plates and glasses, 'cause it makes the dishes SO much easier for the washer.
We do a chart for the kids. The chart is Monday through Saturday. Each time a chore is done they can check that box. They each have set chores for example: Jacob's are 'Make bed; take out trash; set table; empty dishwasher; clean up toys (at the end of the day). These are done each day. But there is also a slot for "extra chores" they can earn money for extra chores. For example if Jacob chooses to vacuum or clear the table he can earn money 10cents for additional chores. But if he didn't do one of his set chores the extra chore cancels out the extra chore and no money is earned. Saturday is "pay day". Saturday evenings the charts are checked and if all set chores were done and extra chores where done then they get paid. If there where chores missed but extra chores where done they may get some money but not as much or get no money at all. They then have three jars Titihing10%/Mission50%/Savings40%. Jacob gets the concept and likes it. Eliza hasn't quite figured it out. When Jacob sees things he likes in the store and asks if he can have it I tell him he can save up for it. Right now he is saving for a basketball jersey and missionary in training tag and a suit coat. Funny kid. I can email you the chart we use. I print a new one each week. They are very simple.
Chore charts are always a way for the kids to see their progress. I like to give the ones that don't fuss or make a big deal out of chores gets a "reward" such as being able to choose what we have for dinner on Sunday, or pick the movie when there is a movie night at home. If a coupls have been successful in the chore department my kids LOVE to have a sibbling sleep over with the room being turned into blanket tents..the whole nine yards. The rewards are very often huge to them and they really strive to "earn" being able to pick the meal for one night or to pick the dessert. I personally like to reward those that work the best together with no fighting or mean words, this makes for a happy home and a willingness to help out verses things being a job.
Right now the only jobs our kids have are... dishes and cleaning the rooms that they are living in.(bedrooms) Tasha and Kyle have been asked to do laundry from time to time.(They do put their clothes away)
We don't give allowance we just let them know that we are a family and it takes a family to keep things in order. Also I have started the bedtime routine and now part of their qualifications to staying up is making sure their rooms are clean. Their rooms are still messy day in and out but they are starting to make an effort.
All of the task oriented people in the world make charts and incentives, and etc. Everyone else is more lax. In a perfect world, kids would want to help and contribute. Unfortunately for moms, whose priority is to keep things in order, kids don't share their goals. Kids aren't about cleanliness and order. Although there are a few neatnicks out there. I think, looking back, that in spite of the job chart, some people still didn't cooperate. Some could be counted on to do a good job, and others could not. Some would get it done, and others could spent 24 hours and still not finish. It's a mixed bag. I think working with them in a cooperative effort usually works better than assigning them to do something by themselves. We were all kids once! How funny!
Post a Comment