Saturday, May 21, 2011

Took a Great Fall

Embarrassing.  That's what it was.  We were walking in the store (Costco) and I slipped on something on the floor (Matt thinks it was a piece of fruit.  I didn't see anything, so I think it was just a slippery spot on an already slippery floor) and I fell.  Majorly fell.  My right leg flew in front of me and my left leg went straight down onto my knee ... basically I kind of did the splits.  It didn't feel great.

A store employee ran over and asked if I was ok ... other people around looked concerned.  I am a VERY pregnant woman after all ... I suppose they were all worried I'd drop the baby right there.  I was just mortified and wanted to escape pronto.  I thought I was fine, except for my pained legs, so I assured the lady I was ok and we quickly walked to another area of the store.  Matt was worried of course, and I think I was a little shocked.  I really did think I was fine, but the longer we walked around the more I realized I did actually hurt ... under my belly and the general "baby holding" area.  By the time we got to checkout I was feeling a little emotional about the whole thing ... I went to the car while Matt, Kate, and Quinn checked out.

Once I was in the car I burst into tears.  Not because I was in so much pain, but I just felt stupid and mad that it had even happened.  I knew my body wasn't going to be happy with me about this and I really didn't need one more thing to have to worry about.

We got home and I went straight to bed to lie down.  I drank a bunch of water.  Eventually I realized I was having contractions and they were hurting.  So I called my midwife and she suggested to go in to the hospital to make sure everything was fine.

Mom and George, of course, had gone to the temple.  The one night a week they're unavailable to watch kids.  SO I called Karen.  Luckily she hadn't left work yet.  She was able to come straight over ... I felt so glad she was so willing.  I got off the phone with her and burst into tears just because I was so grateful for her to be able to help.

Matt and I left for the hospital and as I sat in the car I realized my contractions were coming about every 3 minutes.  Not good when you're only 30 weeks pregnant.

I got into Labor and Delivery, they hooked me up to the monitors.  Isla looked perfect.  Thank goodness!  They were recording my contractions on their monitor thing so we just had to wait and see.  At some point she came in to check my cervix ... it was good.  I am 1 cm dilated but just on the outer edge of the cervix, and that's to be expected at 30 weeks pregnant with baby #6.  Other than that, it was closed tight, just as it should be.

I just continued to be monitored for a couple hours.  Matt and I had dinner (mine from room service, Matt's from the cafeteria) and we waited.  By the time 2 hours had passed my contractions had calmed down enough for them to feel comfortable sending me home.  I was VERY glad.  Those beds are extremely uncomfortable.

When we got home the kids were mostly great.  Aunt Karen had made them dinner in our messy kitchen (sorry Karen) and they had eaten outside!  Fun!  Quinn hadn't eaten, and he was sleeping.  I sat on the couch next to him and noticed he was burning up.  He woke up and as I was holding him he threw up ALL over the couch.  So Quinn is sick.

The dr.'s orders were for me to go home, get a good night's sleep and rest for a few days.  Matt is such a great husband that he slept on the couch all night with sick Quinn so I could sleep in our bed comfortably.

I joked with Matt last night that since we haven't been out alone in a while we were lucky to get a spontaneous "date" ... we even had dinner!  (he didn't think it was too funny, and to be honest, when we see this hospital bill, I'll think it was one EXPENSIVE date)

Anyway ... today I am just grateful that everything is fine ... Isla's ok and even though my body is in pain, I'm still pregnant.  A blessing to be sure.

5 little comments:

Kurt, Jennifer and family said...

Oh my goodness! So scary! I am so glad that you and Isla are ok! I totally cry too when I fall. I don't know what it is but I do the same thing. Take care and try to get some rest. Hope everyone is better soon!

Chris and Mandy said...

Glad you and the baby are both okay. I was a klutz and fell during both my pregnancies. With Owen, I fell on ice and the dog took me out, and with Logan I slipped on wet leaves. I went in for fetal monitoring when I fell on the ice because I fell right on my tummy. I'm glad that you played it safe and got yourself checked out. I'm sorry that you were embarassed. Sometimes it makes it worse when people step in to help.. it's like "leave me alone so I can just disappear!" :)

Brittany Perkins said...

such a terrible story, i'm so sorry!! i totally have a falling while pregnant story but mine wasn't in public and didn't end up in the hospital so i can't even compare!!

Veronique said...

Wow Honor, that is frightening. How are you? I hope that if you could not have reached Karen you would have called us next. Know that I could be there in a heart beat...well more like 20mins worth of heart beats but I would be there. Email or call me if you want me to come get the girls and Quinn if you need a break this week.

Kelli said...

I have slipped like hat so many times and its always so embarrassing . Im Glad you ok!