Wednesday, December 16, 2009

He Happens to be the Fussiest/Sweetest

I love Quinn. I do.

That being said, I am having major frustrations right now with him. He wants to eat all the time, he wakes up when I set him down, even if he's sleeping soundly in my arms 5 seconds before. He does not like to be set down at. all.

Now in my head I understand he's just a baby, this stage lasts for such a short time, and I know he just loves me and wants me to be near him. It's sweet really. I guess.

What I'd really love to do is:

  • eat a meal without listening to a hysterical baby in the background
  • take longer than 2 minutes to eat anything
  • go to the bathroom when I have to
  • get a drink when I'm thirsty
  • clean up anything so the house isn't a disaster
  • have dinner partially prepared when Matt and the girls get home
  • sleep for 8 hours consecutively
  • finish the Christmas things that need to get done in daylight
  • take a shower when I need to, and not have to hurry
  • type things with both hands (this has been a one handed post)
  • stop the little girls from fighting rather than having to watch/listen to it just happen
  • go anywhere without the baby for longer than 2-3 hours

To every thing there is a season .... right? This is not my season for those things, and that's ok. I really am fine and happy with it lots/most of days. It's life with a baby.

What I really love about having a baby?

  • the adorable smiles
  • hearing him laugh for the first time, and every time after that
  • having him fall asleep in my arms and just holding him (even if I'm thirsty)
  • dressing him in boy clothes that are so cute
  • kissing his little cheeks
  • and ears
  • and feet
  • and "lippies"
  • hearing him fuss knowing my presence will calm him down
  • knowing I am the one who he wants most (for now)
  • savoring every moment because they're gone too fast
  • watching him grow and learn new things

See? I do love this. Sometimes the part I hate the most is the part that is also the sweetest and most satisfying.

I guess being a mom is just hard. and rewarding. and tiring. and funny. and frustrating. and great. (but for today I'm going with hard.)

4 little comments:

Deb said...

I know how you feel and I love how you worded it. Time does pass and things get easier and then you tell them not to grow up too fast. It's a no-win situation as far as it's never easy as a mom but definitely rewarding. I always find myself singing Gloria Gaynor's, "I will survive" but I change it to "You will survive" and I sing it to Ryan when he gets fussy and I need to squeak just one more minute out of whatever I'm doing. :)

Simply, Sarah said...

I hear ya on the typing one-handed, and never getting a ahower when you need it, or going to the bathroom at a convenient time for you (and not just the baby's convenience). But, I also hear ya on the cuddlies, sweet smiles and good times too.

It is usually just a phase, as you already know. Pretty soon, he'll be crawling all around and then you'll be missing a different kind of freedom! :)

emily :) said...

I think Aunt Emily needs to come kidnap him for a few hours!! It might be a nice break :)

Judie and George said...

I wonder if boys are, by nature, more demanding. . .